Tuesday, July 19, 2016

#flipclass = Flipped Classroom Resources on Twitter

Strayer, J. (2011). The Flipped Classroom. Knewton. Retrieved from https://www.knewton.com/infographics/flipped-classroom/
When I looked up the #flipclass hashtag in Twitter, I found a never ending list of ideas, resources, and passionate teachers implementing a flipped learning experience in their classrooms! It was hard to stop clicking, reading, and getting inspired! That is sort of the way Twitter is like (similar to Facebook), so a bit of self-control needs to be exercised to maintain a balanced life.

Using Diigo, I bookmarked all the resources I found most useful for defining, showcasing, and defending a flipped classroom learning experience. Below are those bookmarks, which I organized within Diigo's Outliner tool. You can also view my Flipped Classroom bookmarks within Diigo here.

Flipped Classroom Bookmarks
I stumbled across the flipped clasroom idea a few years ago, and was very intrigued by it. But I didn't know how or if I should implement it in my 5th-8th multi-grade classroom in a small private school. First of all, most of the community didn't exactly like the idea of adding 'homework' to a student's workload. As their teacher, I agreed with them because some students already had the normal math work they didn't complete at school, as well as the monthly book reports I assigned. Plus, after 6.5 hours of learning and 'working' at school, I like the idea of parents being able to spend quality time with their kids doing non-school activities.

Then I got an iPad for my classroom and discovered that I could screencast my math teaching lessons. So, using an app called Doceri, I screencasted most of my math lessons for all 4 levels of math I taught. What's different about my process is that I recorded the videos with my students as they sat at the group table with me. I didn't do this because I thought it was better than the more common method of a teacher recording their video lessons alone, but because it was a convenient way to archive all my lessons that I was going to be teaching anyways. The only difference from the past was that instead of writing the math steps on whiteboards or papers and throwing them away, I was documenting all the lessons. Plus, the iPad (with Doceri), has some very helpful backgrounds, like graphs, to help produce neat, organized lessons. I also required my students to write in their math journals the same thing that I wrote/drew on the iPad.

Here is one of those lessons that I screencasted with my 5th graders from a Saxon Intermediate 5 math book. The topic was "Fractions and Mixed Numbers on a Number Line."


Several benefits came from screencasting my math lessons, which I made accessible to students and their parents.

  • Sick/absent students could watch my math lesson, work on their math at home, and not get behind. 
  • Parents could watch my teaching video to better understand and help their child with math homework or studying for a test.
  • Students could review past lessons by watching the video and reviewing their notes they took in their math journals. 
  • Substitute teachers could simply play my teaching videos for my students during math class (especially if they were uncomfortable with teaching the concepts).
During the following year when I had all the videos already created, some students enjoyed the freedom to watch lessons ahead of time, so that when they came to the math table to be taught, they already had an idea of the concept.

As a 4th grade teacher in a new school, I'm not sure if or how I will use any elements of the flipped classroom, but will definitely keep it in mind!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!

    I absolutely loved your video. I think screencasting like you did adds another great human element to flipping: students hearing kids their age ask questions they might ask and think the way that they think! Watching your video and hearing the students talk got me excited for heading back to school in September!

    I have more of a technical question: what is the learning curve like with doceri? I mentioned in my post that if I wanted to do videos with more complex Latin grammar I probably would need to screencast, so I'm interested to hear what your experiences with it went.

    Also, I know you're not exactly sure how flipping may go in your new environment, but if it fits in and some of your old videos worked, would you feel comfortable using them? From our week's materials and other articles I read I know that idea can have a mixed reaction.

    Thanks so much!

    -Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom. Occasionally I would even have the kids write and solve the practice problems on the iPad to be included in the screencast. That definitely motivated them to do their best and give their whole effort in understanding a problem!

    I chose Doceri because for me it had the easiest workflow. After recording the screencast, I would name it and then drag the saved screencast to the Google Drive icon, which allowed me to dump it straight into a math video folder I had already shared with everyone. At that point, it was accessible by all my students and parents. (You need to have a Google Drive app and account set up on the iPad before doing that last step.)

    I may use some of my videos this next year when teaching math, if the concepts are similar, but I will be working with a lower level than I screencasted already, so I'm not sure...

    For a short tutorial on how to use Doceri, view this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFcoB0ohLmk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That video makes it look fun and easy! I'll definitely be playing around with doceri a bit. Oh, and I forgot to mention last comment: doceri in Latin means: to be taught. Thought that was a cool tidbit!

      Delete
  3. Hi Chris!

    Thanks for sharing your ideas and screencast of your math lesson. As Tom said, it was great to hear students thinking, yet it did not make me as excited as Tom to return to school just yet ;).

    I know you said you are unsure if you will be able to use your flipped videos in your new classroom. Thinking to my 4th grade math that I teach, we work with number lines and placing fractions on a number line, so maybe you will be able to use your videos with your higher students as enrichment activities. While I don't have iPads for my classroom, I do use me personal iPad in my classroom. I'll have to check out Doceri; I think that would work well with my guided math instruction.

    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know how you feel! Pre-session starts in 2.5 weeks for me! Yikes!

      You should definitely check Doceri out, if nothing else. Like I said, I only had that 1 iPad in my classroom, and it came in real handy for that application. When I wasn't teaching math with it, I let students use it for research and other media creation tools. It also came in hand for a mystery skype with another classroom.

      Delete
  4. Hi Chris,

    Great job! Quick question...how do you distribute the videos to your 4th students? Do you use an LMS or website?

    Additionally, I agreed with each of your listed benefits for the flipped classroom. One aspect of videoed lesson that makes me particularly excited is the ability to involve parents in the learning process. I often hear parents comment that they would love to help their children with their homework but they don't where to start. In my opinion, the flipped classroom helps alleviate these concerns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I simply save the video straight to a Google drive folder that I have shared with everybody. That way, as soon as I have put it into the folder, parents and students that I have shared that folder to have access.

      Delete
  5. Hi Chris,

    Great job! Quick question...how do you distribute the videos to your 4th students? Do you use an LMS or website?

    Additionally, I agreed with each of your listed benefits for the flipped classroom. One aspect of videoed lesson that makes me particularly excited is the ability to involve parents in the learning process. I often hear parents comment that they would love to help their children with their homework but they don't where to start. In my opinion, the flipped classroom helps alleviate these concerns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris!

    I really enjoyed your discussion of documenting your lessons. What a great way for self-assessment and building a library of videos for flipped learning! In regard to the benefits you suggested there are sure are many for doing this. I see a huge advantage in parent communication and accommodating students who are absent. I also see advantages for students who need additional practice and would like to revisit classroom concepts in your videos. The last advantage that you really brought to my attention was the benefit of flipped videos for substitute teachers! What a great way to make it easier for substitutes to guide your lessons.

    Thank you,
    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin. One advantage I forgot to mention was that by the second year, if something urgent came up, or a student doing something else was in need of help, I could play the video for the math group so that they didn't have to wait for me to start with them. Then when I was done with the other task, I could come back and check on the students watching the video. While playing it I could pause it to check for understanding and even do other things to reinforce the concept.

      Delete