Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Gaming in the Classroom? Why?

Conker's Bad Day Fur. (2012). Nintendo Entertainment System. Wikia. Retrieved from http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_systems?file=Nintendo_Entertainment_System_Model.png
I grew up on Nintendo, GameBoy, and any computer game I could get my hands on. Yes, I loved playing sports outside, and did a lot of that too, but gaming was probably my most time-consuming hobby. Why? Well, after taking some time this week to read about gaming in the classroom and analyzing my own experience with gaming, I came up with a list of reasons:
  1. It was FUN!
  2. It was challenging.
  3. It gave me a sense of accomplishment when I overcame an obstacle, solved a mystery, mastered a move, or beat an adversary.
  4. It was competitive when playing other real people or comparing scores with them.
  5. It was addicting because I wanted to discover what was 'around the corner,' get to the next level, or find the next clue.
  6. It connected with my interests. (Because of my fascination with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and various Disney movies, I played many games based on those. I also liked to race anything in real life, so I enjoyed any good racing game too.)
  7. It connected me with my friends. (I played some games just because that's what my friends invited me to play on a network, which was fun - whether in the same room on multiple computers, across the internet, or on the same gaming station).
  8. It gave me a sense of control. I controlled the pace, the path, and who I played with.
I didn't grow out of gaming until mid-college, although at that point I actually made a conscious decision to stop gaming so that I could devote my time to my studies, friends, and outdoor activities. If I didn't have a family, self-discipline or goals in life, I could easily get back into my gaming habits - because it was FUN! 

But now as a teacher, I am starting to see how other teachers are successfully using gaming in the classroom to increase student achievement, engage kids, and better differentiate for each individual learner! A great example is my friend and vice principal of the school I'm at, Mark Janke. He has created his own game environment for high school and jr high history classes. You can hear him talk about gamification and how he runs his class game here

Going back to the 'list of reasons' above, an author and keynote speaker on gamification, Yu-kai Chou, actually created a similar list of 'core drives' that motivate people to do what they do. He calls his gamification framework, "Octalysis," seen below.


I watched his TEDx talk about it, which made a lot of sense! Here are my notes that I took from it, which are a much more research-based, intellectual 'list of reasons' for why gaming is FUN:
  1. Epic Meaning & Calling – being part of something bigger than yourself
  2. Development & Accomplishment – leveling up & achieving mastery
    1. Short term goals being accomplished
  3. Empowerment of Creativity & Feedback – building LEGOs
  4. Ownership & Possession – desire to protect & build up/collect/improve
  5. Social Influence & Relatedness – action based on what others do or say
  6. Scarcity & Impatience – wanting something just because you can’t quite reach it!
    1. Sense of urgency
  7. Unpredictability & Curiosity – because you don’t know what’s happening next, you want to know! / lottery effect
  8. Loss & Avoidance – doing something to avoid bad consequences
So all of this leads to the question of, is gaming in the classroom good for student learning? Yu-kai Chou would be quick to say, "YES!" He even lists 10 prime examples of gamification in the classroom, which he says produce "more effective educational environments." 
Screenshot taken at Duolingo.com
The first one happens to be Duolingo, which I have personal experience with. In fact, my wife, who is a stay-at-home mom, just started using (playing) it last week and uses it every spare moment she has! Why? For a couple reasons. 
1. She has always wanted to learn Spanish, especially living in CA. And now that we just moved into an apartment right above a Hispanic family in which the parents don't speak English, she has great motivation to do so because she wants to communicate with them! (intrinsic motivation)
2. Duolingo is fun and addicting because of its levels and badges you can achieve and earn! (extrinsic motivation)

For the past couple years I have actually had my students use Duolingo in class as a sponge activity to do for fun when they were done with all their work. And they loved it! I noticed that the badges and ability to level-up were motivating, but the most motivating factor seemed to be comparing scores and levels with each other. There is even an aspect within the game that allows people to see where they stack up to each other, which gives them a competitive reason to keep progressing. This may not be the best motivation, but according to Eric Anderson, a self-taught gamification educator, it works, and ultimately leads to students learning the required material. He has flipped and gamified his classroom, which is described in his TEDx talk. In this video he brings out some other great benefits in gamifying his classroom: 
  • Students really liked being able to work at their own pace, and be challenged at the same time. (In other words, gamifying his class was a very effective way to differentiate instruction.)
  • Having conditional assignments ("If you do/learn this, then you get...") help students take gradual steps in their learning.
  • Students learn to learn. Instead of just doing what the teacher tells them to or hearing the teacher tell what the teacher read, students take more ownership of their learning and do more of the research themselves because they want to. The teacher becomes more of a guide on the side, not a sage on the stage.
  • Since trying, failing, and repeating are inherent in video games, gamification in the classroom creates an environment in which students become more comfortable with learning from their mistakes. 
James Paul Gee, a psychologist, educator, and author of What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy, said something in a video that really hit home with the value of gamification in the classroom. He said that "We [schools] have handed [students] the manuals without the games/[activities] to go with them." That really made me think of the traditional classroom that I grew up in versus the idea of using gamification in my current classroom. If I want to cause my students to be more motivated, learn better and at their own pace, and have FUN learning at school, I need to take gaming seriously!

For further info on gaming in the classroom, check out my Diigo "Education Gamification" Outliner, which has a bunch of great resources in addition to the above mentioned ones.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!

    Wonderful stuff as usual! As I mentioned on my blog, I also think Duolingo is a great app/game to use in clas. I think it's so awesome that you let your kids explore it in their free time! Language learning is easier the earlier you start in life, so hearing that little kids are exploring warms this language teacher's heart.

    You mentioned something that I have been thinking about in this unit as well: are leaderboards in games for school a good thing? I know in my past years that I have definitely had students who have shut down after coming in last or getting off to a bad start in the game, which I feel is the exact opposite outcome we as teachers want when we introduce a game. Do you think there are any remedies to this? Kids like being competitive, so I don't want to remove it entirely, but at the same time I wonder if there is a work-around.

    Thanks!

    -Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom,

      You ask a great question about the use of leaderboards in the classroom. Over the past few years, there have been a number of formative assessment tools (Kahoot, Quizizz) that openly advertise the game leaders and show each students rank among their class members.

      Initially I did not think much of the use of leaderboards, however, recently I have started reading counterpoints regarding the use of such a system. While leaderboards may be motivating to the high-flyers in the class, what about the other two-thirds of the students? While I will stop short of calling the system degrading, I can definitely see how it could be demotivating.

      I would love to hear other thoughts on this subject. I am also unsure of potential workaround to this situation without completely shutting down the leaderboard.

      Delete
    2. Good question Tom and good point Dave. I was just talking with my friend (and VP) Mark Janke, mentioned in this post, about the points system. He too has a leaderboard, which is very popular in the class. But, within that leaderboard he has put students into multiple groups/teams.
      Basically, during the first 1-2 weeks of class, he assesses all the students. Then he purposefully puts each student into multiple groups/teams, based on learning styles, ability/reading levels, and teams where he knows they will have a hard time getting along or having anything in common. What this does is help students to learn to work with a variety of different classmates because some 'quests' in the game are individual, but others can only be done with their groups. So, instead of just having a game where individuals compete, everyone collaborates to help their teammates out. And then some 'quests' can't be completed without everyone's participation in the class. Also, a great YouTube video from Extra Credits (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuDLw1zIc94), mentioned that if one student accomplishes something, then everyone else gets points for that. This can also encourage students to encourage each other, rather than it be everyone or every team for themselves.
      I know that this doesn't make the leaderboard completely fair, but it helps. Plus, it may help to use avatars or usernames unrelated to students' real names so that only each student knows how they stack up...

      Delete
    3. This "team" idea is great concept! In fact, Quizlet recently released a new function (Quizlet Live) that allows for this exact activity. Thus far, I have received rave reviews from teachers regarding this new formative assessment tool! Check it out at:https://vimeo.com/161809207 and https://vimeo.com/161809345

      Delete
    4. I like that idea of teams! I saw Nichole mentioned Harry Potter houses in her post, and it makes me think if that would be a cool way to get the year started: have a "sorting hat" event where each student gets a team (predetermined by me, heterogeneous groups), and every time someone from the team does well they get points. That way kids from various social groups and skill levels can work together to "win" something. Maybe even extra points when a student who doesn't always answer a question participates? I'm not sure how it all would work out, but it's definitely got me thinking!

      Thanks!
      -Tom

      Delete
    5. Dave, that is a neat aspect of Quizlet that could easily fit in with gamifying our classrooms. Thanks for sharing!

      Tom, another thing I didn't specifically mention in my reply is that you could require the whole class to accomplish specific quests in order for everyone to be able to 'level up' or attain a specific badge, which would be another way to get everyone helping each other, especially those that struggle.

      Delete