Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Attending a Live Webcast

On July 26, I attended a Facebook Live BYOD Discussion with Christina Capiotis. The link for viewing it is - https://www.facebook.com/educational.sample/videos/105520056801620/

Here are my thoughts on this event: 

Strengths: Facebook Live is easy to connect to & invite friends because it is all done through Facebook. I'm guessing it is just as easy to broadcast as it is to view a broadcast.
Weaknesses: The only way viewers could communicate or respond to the broadcaster was by clicking a few emojis or typing something. In other words, the viewer can’t speak or use their webcam to participate, like Google Hangouts or Zoom would allow.

I think I will participate in future Facebook Live shows because I’m on Facebook occasionally and if the topic is interesting or relevant to me, I’ll tune in.

One way this type of webcast could be used in my classroom is if I befriend someone on Facebook that is a professional in a field that could educate my students about a particular career or someone who could share an inspirational story. I could then have my students submit questions for me to type to the speaker and/or write thoughts or things learned during the presentation.


To take this idea a bit further, I think it would be really neat to have my students broadcast to a specific audience about something they’re learning in class or present a project they’ve completed. This would give them an authentic audience, which would motivate them to do a better job and practice and prepare to do their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment